Slack is a excellent collaborative platform for teams and coworkers, allowing you to mail text messages, share documents, and start voice calls. 1 underrated aspect of Slack, however, is the capacity to share your monitor with others. Monitor sharing is helpful for presentation and meetings, but you may possibly want to configure your product initial.
You can share your monitor on Slack making use of the world wide web shopper or the desktop app, but you’ll have to have to update to a paid Slack approach initially. If you are looking to set up and use Slack display screen sharing, here’s what you are going to have to have to do.
How to Set Up Slack Display Sharing
Prior to you start out to use display sharing on Slack, you will require to be knowledgeable of a several factors to start with.
Regrettably, selected features (these types of as voice contacting and monitor sharing) are only readily available on Slack if your workspace is on a compensated plan. If you are the workspace owner or administrator, you’ll have to have to upgrade to a Common, As well as, or Organization plan with a for each-person or independently quoted value in advance of you (or your consumers) can display screen share.
You don’t have to have a functioning digital camera for display sharing to do the job, but as display sharing is a component of a voice or movie connect with, it could support you to existing to your viewers. At the incredibly minimum, you’ll require a operating microphone to set up a voice call and connect with the other contributors.
To use all of the monitor sharing characteristics on Slack (this kind of as on-monitor drawing), you may well require to set up the desktop app. Although you can participate in a Slack screen sharing call in your browser, only the desktop application for Mac or Windows present the entire established of functions for consumers.
How to Share Your Screen in Slack
To share your monitor in a Slack workspace, you will require to initiate a new movie contact.
- To do this, open the Slack application or open up your Slack workspace in your browser. In a direct information, decide on the Connect with button in the appropriate-hand panel to commence a get in touch with.
- You can also start out a new connect with in a channel by clicking on a username, then deciding on the Contact button in the pop-up. Ensure you want to commence a connect with by selecting the Commence Phone button.
- After you’ve set up a new simply call, find the Screen Your Share button from the solutions at the base. If you have extra than one particular monitor related to your Computer, you are going to need to select which one particular to share from the options supplied. This will allow for you to share unique apps in one particular screen, leaving the other screen personal.
As soon as Slack monitor sharing is active, a number of rules use. Only a one user can share their display screen at any a single point, and the user sharing their screen gets to be the lively person for the length of the monitor sharing, meaning no other camera feeds come to be popular.
- To stop monitor sharing, find the Halt monitor sharing button. This will conclude display sharing, returning the call to a conventional movie get in touch with.
Drawing on a Shared Slack Display Share
Sharing your monitor will allow you to existing on-display details to other callers. If you want to make factors extra interactive, however, you (and other callers) can attract on to the shared display screen straight. This will allow you to annotate or level out selected products to your viewers.
- Slack screen drawing is enabled by default. If you (or other individuals) want to start drawing on-screen, choose the Draw icon from the alternatives supplied.
- With the selection enabled, attract on-monitor applying your mouse, trackpad, touchscreen, or other suitable interface gadget. If you want to cease other participants from becoming a member of in, select the Draw together icon. When the icon is white, other buyers can draw on your shared display.
- You can also adjust the coloration of your pen through the on-screen drawing approach. To do this, select the CTRL important (on Home windows) or Command vital (on Macs). This will cycle via each and every of the readily available colors.
Troubleshooting Slack Screen Sharing Challenges
If Slack’s monitor sharing resource isn’t operating, you’ll want to troubleshoot the challenge. There are a quantity of reasons why this aspect may well not work, from lacking permissions to misconfigured network ports.
Enabling Permissions on Mac
Mac consumers, in unique, may obtain that macOS’ safety options preemptively block any try to share your monitor. If this is the case, you are going to require to grant Slack entry to history your display in the Process Tastes menu.
- To open System Preferences, choose the Apple menu > System Choices.
- In the Program Tastes menu, pick Security & Privacy > Privateness > Monitor Recording. On the correct, make certain that the Slack checkbox is enabled. If you can not adjust this setting, pick out the lock icon at the base of the menu.
Opening Slack Community Ports
The Slack desktop application demands specific ports to be open up for movie phone calls and display screen sharing to operate appropriately. In certain, UDP port 22466 is required for outgoing website traffic. If this isn’t offered, Slack will check out to fall back again onto TCP port 443, the default HTTPS port that should be available on most web-related networks.
Defaulting to port 443 may possibly trigger issues, even so. If your Slack calls are minimal excellent, or if you are obtaining difficulties sharing your screen at a acceptable resolution, you will will need to configure your firewall to open ports 22466 (UDP) and 443 (TCP). Windows users will also need to configure Windows Firewall to make it possible for Slack obtain to the world-wide-web.
- To do this, ideal-simply click the Begin menu and pick out the Operate choice.
- In the Run box, variety command firewall.cpl and find Ok.
- In the Windows Firewall menu, pick out the Allow for an application or element by Home windows Defender Firewall. Make confident to choose the checkbox next to the Slack application to enable access for Slack by means of the firewall. If you are on a public or private network, make confident the checkbox in these categories are enabled, also. You could need to have to select the Transform Configurations button to start with.
Look at Choices
If Slack screen sharing however doesn’t perform on your Computer or Mac, you might need to have to seem at solutions. A number of display screen sharing instruments exist, including Facetime for Mac end users and Zoom for cross-platform people.
You can also share your screen on cell units managing Android employing applications like Google Duo. Most major video conferencing apps aid display screen sharing, but if you are getting connectivity problems on Slack, you may need to troubleshoot these concerns initially, which include switching to a superior net link.
While Slack and other platforms might use different methods for establishing online video and display sharing calls, it will however demand a steady and suitably configured community connection (which includes open ports) to enable the connect with to get the job done appropriately.
Obtaining Began on Slack
If you are a Slack workspace owner with an energetic paid out strategy, you’ll have full entry to all the characteristics that Slack has to offer. There are nevertheless a good deal of functions accessible for cost-free Slack end users, on the other hand. For occasion, if you want to strengthen efficiency on a cost-free Slack workspace, you could believe about adding a Slack bot to your channels.
These’ll support you to flip Slack into a next mind, letting you to make use of calendar integration and be aware using (together with other methods and recommendations) to get the most out of the platform. If you’re searching for alternatives to Slack, you could give Microsoft Groups or Discord a test in its place.