If you are pressed for storage area on your Laptop or Mac, then syncing Google Drive by means of Backup and Sync can only close up worsening the problem. Luckily, you can change the Google Drive folder to a unique area inside of your computer’s inner storage or an external drive each time you want.
Underneath, you are going to come across a few strategies that you can use to modify the default Google Generate Backup and Sync folder area in Home windows and macOS.
The to start with strategy reveals how to specify a diverse folder locale although placing up Backup and Sync on your Computer or Mac. The next and third approaches will demonstrate how to adjust the Google Drive folder if you’ve already begun to sync your Google Push contents regionally.
Method 1: Improve Google Travel Folder Place In the course of Set up
When you set up Google Drive Backup and Sync for the initial time, it will try to established your Google Drive folder less than the person account of your Computer system or Mac by default.
To transform that, only select the Adjust option (stated future to Folder spot) when you get to the Google Travel monitor. Then, choose a unique folder on your laptop. Ideally, the folder really should not have anything in it.
Then, both choose to sync every thing in Google Travel locally or pick out Sync only these folders and pick the objects from Google Drive that you want to sync. Last but not least, find Start off.
Approach 2: Stop Backup and Sync and Relocate Google Drive Folder
The Backup and Sync client does not allow you to transform the Google Generate folder area right after you’ve started out to sync your Google Travel contents domestically.
Nevertheless, you can use a workaround that entails quitting the Backup and Sync customer, shifting the Google Push folder to a new place, and then re-opening the sync consumer and pointing out the new site.
Not only is it straightforward to carry out, but you also really don’t have to waste any time or bandwidth by having to re-sync your information or folders from the very beginning.
1. Pick out the Backup and Sync from Google icon on the procedure tray or menu bar. Then, open the Options menu.
2. Pick Quit Backup & Sync and wait around for the Backup and Sync customer to shut down absolutely.
3. Duplicate the Google Generate folder to the new place.
If you have issues locating the Google Push folder, here’s how to get to it promptly:
Home windows: Push Windows+R to open up the Run box. Then, type %userprofile% and choose Alright.
Mac: Open Finder and pick out Go > Go to Folder. Then, type ~/ and find Go.
4. At the time you’re performed copying, delete the Google Travel folder from its original spot.
5. Re-open the Backup and Sync client. It really should request you to locate the lacking folder. Find Find.
6. Decide on the Google Travel folder from the new area and choose Ok.
7. Decide on Verify.
The Backup and Sync consumer will then compare the documents in the directory to guarantee that there is practically nothing amiss. That normally will take a couple of minutes. You can then get started applying Google Push normally.
Method 3: Disconnect From Google Account and Reconnect
If you have now started out syncing your Google Travel contents to your computer system but want to commence all in excess of from scratch with a various folder, you need to disconnect your Google account, indication back again into the Backup and Sync shopper, and re-configure your sync preferences.
You can also pick out to move any regionally synced Google Drive contents to the new location and merge with them afterward. But if which is the only matter that you want to do, then the technique earlier mentioned is significantly much more practical.
1. Pick out the Backup and Sync from Google icon on the method tray or menu bar. Then, open the Settings menu.
2. Find Choices.
3. Switch to the Configurations facet-tab and find Disconnect Account.
4. Find Disconnect to confirm. Backup and Sync will indication you out of your Google Account. It will not delete any of your domestically synced files and folders, nevertheless.
5. Transfer the contents in the Google Generate folder into a new folder within the place that you want to change to. Skip this action if you want to sync every little thing from scratch.
6. Pick out Backup and Sync from Google from the method tray or menu bar once again and choose Sign in.
7. Enter your Google Account credentials and established up your sync choices. The moment you get to the Google Generate tab, choose Modify, and select the new site.
8. Figure out what you want to sync from Google Travel and pick Start off to start syncing.
9. If you copied any formerly synced documents and folders into the new location, pick out Go on to merge them with the relaxation of the contents.
Be aware: Really feel cost-free to delete the Google Drive folder from its first locale.
Switched to External Drive? Retain This in Thoughts
As you just realized, it is ridiculously uncomplicated to shift the Google Generate folder to a diverse site. If you finished up switching to an external drive, on the other hand, just remember to maintain it related to your Pc or Mac to stay away from any sync issues. If you do want to clear away it, make positive to exit the Backup and Sync shopper initially. When you reconnect it once again, basically re-open up the sync customer to continue syncing as regular.
If you operate into any sync concerns later on, here’s how to correct Google Drive Backup and Sync. It could possibly also be a superior time to enhance your Google Push storage.